The Gather is a community run cafe, shop and community centre in the heart of the Ennerdale Valley. We are looking for a hard-working individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment. This supervisory role is for 37 hours per week however we would expect flexibility during peak season and holiday times.
Ownerships and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Gather Manager, you’ll ideally have worked in a retail and / or catering environment already or be able to demonstrate supervisory and leadership skills.
As a supervisor of The Gather, you’ll be expected to take responsibility for The Gather in the absence of The Gather manager. This will include cashing up/banking and other administration duties, so you’ll have unquestionable honesty and integrity. Outlined below are key responsibilities of a supervisor.
- Ensuring the smooth running of The Gather Café, Shop, Community spaces and maintaining a pleasant atmosphere and ambiance for our staff, volunteers, customers and visitors.
- Reporting regularly to The Gather manager with feedback and issues.
- Controlling stock levels, stock rotation and placing orders when necessary.
- Ensuring all food and hygiene standards are applied.
- Supervise and motivate staff and volunteers during shift, providing feedback where necessary and reporting strengths and weaknesses to The Gather manager.
- Supporting and training staff and volunteers on a day to day basis.
- Taking responsibility for all staff, volunteers and visitors in the absence of The Gather manager by following all policies and procedures.
- In this role the supervisor will be expected to lead by example, such as weekend working, flexible shifts and occasional evenings.
- Responsibility for money (till security, ensuring enough change, cashing up, safely storing takings)
- Responsibility for refunds and other pay-outs.
- Dealing promptly and courteously with complaints and customer queries.
- Taking the lead in an emergency situation, in accordance with Gather policies.
- Opening up in the morning and securely locking up in the evening.
Other responsibilities include:
- Preparing coffees, other drinks and light snacks (you’ll be trained as a Barista)
- Serving customers in the shop and café
- Making sure shelves are well stocked and stock is monitored to avoid waste
- Placing orders with agreed suppliers
- Following policies and procedures so the Gather is run efficiently and profitably
- Preparing a handover for other staff members and volunteers at the end of a shift
- Taking bookings for the Gather’s community space
- Making sure the Gather is clean and tidy at all times
- Keeping the Gather Manager well informed of any issues
- Doing whatever is needed to make sure our customers have a pleasant experience every time
Personal Qualities / Attributes
You’ll be a natural when it comes to customer service and know-how to create a welcoming atmosphere. The Gather team will be mainly volunteers so you’ll need to be excellent with people of all ages. You’ll thrive on taking on responsibility and working closely with The Gather manager to ensure The Gather is welcoming, profitable and sustainable. For this supervisor role, you’ll be:
- Adaptable and willing —happy to turn your hand to any task
- Impeccable communication skills
- A strong work ethic with the ability to deliver high standards
- A great team leader, but also happy working on your own at times
- Great with customers (nothing should ever be a bother to you)
- Reliable and dependable — you’ll be a Gather keyholder and supervisor
- Flexible in the hours you can work (you’ll be expected to cover holidays / sickness as necessary)
- Able to spot what needs doing and take great pride in your work
- Enthusiastic with a positive can-do attitude
A driving licence (due to the village location) and the need for flexibility are essential.
Closing Date Monday 6th January. All applications will be reviewed after closing date.
Previous applicants need not apply.